- Give forwarding address to Post Office four to six weeks before moving
- Charge accounts, credit cards
- Subscriptions: Notice required six to eight weeks
- Friends and relatives
- Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in new city if necessary
- Arrange credit references
- Notify company of new location for coverage: life, health, fire and auto.
- Gas, light, water, fuel, garbage.
- Get refunds on any deposits made.
- Return cable boxes if necessary.
- Laundry, newspaper, change over of service.
Medical, Dental, Prescription Histories:
- Ask doctor or dentist for referrals.
- Transfer needed for prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays.
- Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
- Ask about regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags, etc.
Don't Forget To:
- Empty freezer, plan use of foods
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator. Place charcoal to dispel odors
- Have appliances serviced for moving
- Clean rugs and/or clothing before moving; have them wrapped
- Check with your moving counselor/company - insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment
- Plan for special care needs of infant or pets
- Check with Agriculture Department of new area to see if they have restrictions on plants
On Moving Day:
- Carry enough cash or traveler's checks to cover cost of moving services and expenses until you establish new banking services
- Carry jewelry and important documents yourself or use registered mail
- Plan for transporting pets; they are poor traveling companions if unhappy
- Let close friends or relatives know route and schedule you will travel, including any overnight stops. Use them as message headquarters
- Final check of old residence: double-check closets, drawers and shelves to be sure they are empty
- Leave old keys, garage door openers, broiler pans, landscape/house plans and instruction manuals needed by new owner with your agent.
At Your New Address:
- Obtain certified checks or cashier's checks necessary for closing real estate transaction (check title company for details)
- Check that utilities are turned on.
- Do a walk through notice any damages, document and take photos.
- Check for damages while unpacking - be aware of deadline for insurance claims.
- Replace locks if necessary and make at least 2 copies of your new keys