5078 Warwick Terrace • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania • 15213
A Private Mansion
- In 2009, I was selected to list and market for sale the 39-room Edwardian Tudor mansion in the Oakland area of the city that borders Shadyside which housed Pittsburgh's Catholic bishops for six decades.
Located in the private Morewood Heights neighborhood,on a street called Warwick Terrace. The convenience of this neighborhood to Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, as well as its close proximity to the UPMC Medical Center and the Carnegie Museum and Library, further contributes to the neighborhood’s appeal. Also near is the Shadyside shopping district, Schenley Park and the Downtown Pittsburgh business district is only four miles.
- The mansion was built in 1910 by Herbert DePuy, owner of Pennsylvania Rubber Co. The mansion looks like a great English country house with its porte-cochere, baronial woodwork, silver and brass wall sconces, massive carved stone fireplaces, beamed ceilings, leaded French doors and hardwood floors. The wine cellar has room for at least 650 bottles. There's also a six-car garage.
The home sits on 1.1 acres. Its level back lawn features a large flagstone patio, many mature trees, a brick paver path laid in a herringbone pattern and enough room to throw an outdoor party for 500 people.
Inside the massive wrought-iron gates at the main entrance, Bishop Donald Wuerl received President George W. Bush, and Cardinal Giovanni Montini, who later became Pope Paul VI, visited Cardinal John Dearden.
- After David Zubick was appointed bishop of Pittsburgh in 2007, he lived there for two weeks before moving to an apartment at St. Paul's Seminary as each bishop has to decide how his lifestyle is going to influence ministry in the church.
- The Bishop’s residence wound up in the hands of the diocese through the generosity of the McCahill family. David McCahill, a prominent Pittsburgh lawyer and civic leader, purchased the property in 1928. A generous supporter of charities and the Roman Catholic Church, Mr. McCahill invited Bishop Hugh C. Boyle to dinner in 1949. The hostess, Marie McCahill, asked the bishop to lift up a china plate in the dining room; underneath the cleric found the key to the mansion and its deed.