Upper Arlington, OH Real Estate Market
Median sale price
Upper Arlington is an inner-ring bedroom community known for its excellent schools, proximity to Ohio State University and downtown Columbus, and the Scioto Country Club where Jack Nicklaus learned the game of golf.
Founded by brothers King and Ben Thompson, Upper Arlington consists of 840 acres of land that were originally purchased from James T. Miller in 1913. Originally, King Thompson had planned to call the area the Country Club District, but by 1917, the community had taken on a different name. Marble Cliff, located immediately to the south, was named Arlington at that time, and this proximity led to the use of the term "Upper Arlington," which soon rose in popularity and inevitably stuck.
The historic district of Upper Arlington, South of Lane Avenue, gains its distinctive appearance from a combination of abundant trees and curving streets that follow the land, as opposed to the grid-like patterns commonly used in Columbus. Most of these historic homes were built prior to 1940. In central Arlington, you can find post-war ranches, Cape Cods, and split-levels, while North Arlington has sprawling homes built in the 1960s and 1970s.
Upper Arlington has begun a rejuvenation of its commercial centers, Kingsdale Mall and the Shops on Lane Avenue, with high-end stores and restaurants, including the newest Cameron Mitchell Restaurant, Hudson 29.