Approximately 25 miles northeast of downtown Pittsburgh, the borough of Apollo is an inviting community in Armstrong County, on the eastern bank of the Kiskiminetas River.
Originally known as Warren, it was first settled in the late 18th century. Confusion with another Pennsylvania town of the same name, however, led the citizens of Apollo to adopt the current moniker, a reference to the Greek and Roman god of antiquity, upon its incorporation as a borough in 1848. The development of the Pennsylvania Mainline Canal led to increased economic growth and prosperity, and the manufacture of steel and iron became the borough’s primary industry in the late 19th century.
Numerous historic structures from Apollo’s past remain, including the Drake Log Cabin, which dates back to at least 1816 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The former course of the M-Line Railroad is now Apollo’s Kiski Riverfront Trail, one of thirteen trails in the Trans Allegheny Trails system. Owens Grove Park hosts a wide variety of seasonal community events, such the annual Miss Apollo Pageant and the Ducky Derby, a rubber duck race.
Apollo is home to a wide variety of small businesses operated by local residents, many of which surround a central plaza that was recently enhanced by more than $700,000 in renovations. The centerpiece of the plaza is a memorial honoring the military, police and firefighters, and the astronauts of NASA’s Apollo 1 and Apollo 11 missions.