A borough situated on the Allegheny River in Armstrong County, Freeport’s name originated from David Todd declaring the area “a free and open port” of the Pennsylvania Canal system. It is located near the point at which the Kiskiminetas River connects with Allegheny River. In the 1760s, the first settlement was made in Freeport and by 1833 the borough was officially incorporated.
Some local attractions in Freeport include Buffalo Creek, which runs through the area, the Baker Trail which offers hiking opportunities, the Donald R. Lobaugh Bridge connecting Freeport to Allegheny Township, the Butler-Freeport Community Trail, the Freeport Community Park with nearby banquet facility Laube Hall, the Market Street Park, Scott’s Scuba Service, and Wolfie’s Pizza Hearth.
Freeport is served by the Freeport Area School District with varsity football home games held at the James Swartz Sr. Memorial Field. The school district includes two elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school.
The Freeport Volunteer Fire Department covers Freeport’s fire and rescue response with a rescue team, a squad, two engines, and a river rescue boat operated by over 40 volunteers. Freeport Emergency Medical Services is similarly well equipped with 17 EMTS, 13 paramedics, and 3 ALS-certified ambulances.