About Northwestern Pennsylvania
The ten county region includes Clarion, Clearfield, Crawford, Erie, Forest, Jefferson, Lawrence, Mercer, Venango, and Warren counties.
The region is bordered by the states of Ohio to the West and New York to the North.
Howard Hanna currently has 20 offices in Northwestern, PA.
Brookville is a borough in Jefferson County, Pennsylvania, 100 miles (161 km) northeast of Pittsburgh.. Founded in 1830, it is the county seat of Jefferson County.
Brookville's main source of economic development throughout the 19th century was the lumber industry. Brookville's many streams and its connection to larger rivers (the Clarion and later, the Allegheny) allowed for extensive construction of lumber mills along the watersheds and the floating of timber to markets in Pittsburgh.
Twyford Motor Car Company, which operated from 1905 to 1907, produced the world's first 4-wheel drive automobile. More recently, Interstate 80 which traverses the United States, was constructed near Brookville borough. The town has continued to support the lumber industry and also features several small and medium-sized businesses and significant manufacturing operations.
Industrial sites located throughout Jefferson County add to he availability of opportunities for business growth and development. Two of the seven industrial parks located in Jefferson County are directly adjacent to Interstate 80. The remaining five sites are well situated within close proximity of major north-south and east-west transportation corridors. Most sites offer fully integrated infrastructure including municipal water, sewer and access roads.
In an age when many downtowns are dying on the vine, Brookville offers an unforgettable experience in itself. Our Main Street Revitalization Project assists in all aspects of downtown development and has resulted in restored Victorian buildings, new businesses, shops, restaurants, and dozens of new jobs.
Brookville’s 90-acre Historic District is a collection of nearly 300 buildings, residential and commercial alike, constructed between 1830 and 1930 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1984.
Clarion is a borough in Clarion County, Pennsylvania, about 100 miles (161 km) north-northeast of Pittsburgh settled in 1839 and incorporated in 1841. In the past, the surrounding area produced natural gas, oil, lumber and coal. It is the county seat of Clarion County, Home to the annual Autumn Leaf Festival and Clarion University of Pennsylvania.
Located in the beautiful Appalachian Mountain region of northwestern Pennsylvania with six exits from Interstate 80, makes it within short traveling distances from the cities of Erie, Pittsburgh and Youngstown.
Nearby is Cook Forest a 7,182 acre state park classified as a National Natural Landmark by the National Park Service. Once called "The Black Forest," the area is famous for its stands of old growth forest. The "Forest Cathedral" of towering white pines and hemlocks is a Natural National Landmark. Hundreds of miles of hiking trails wind their way through the forest, including the Baker trail, which runs from Pittsburgh to the Allegheny National Forest, and the Rachel Carson trail.
The Clarion River is the eastern border of the Park, and is popular for canoeing and rafting. It's also known for its excellent fishing streams and ponds.
DuBois (pronounced (doo-BOYS ) is a city in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, 91 miles (146 km) northeast of Pittsburgh. Settled in 1812, laid out in 1872, DuBois was incorporated as a borough in 1881 and as a city in 1914. While DuBois was founded as a lumber town, the mining of bituminous coal quickly became the chief industry in DuBois.
Whether you travel to DuBois, Pennsylvania for vacation or business, you will have the best of both worlds--a small town community with plenty of restaurants and shopping, yet close to miles of forests. You can choose from golf, fishing, hunting, hiking, biking, and for a change of pace, go shopping, dine in one of the area's restaurants, or go to the theater. Getting here is easy. Two exits, 97 and 101, give access to DuBois from Interstate 80 for travelers from the East and West; Route 219 from North and South; Route 322 from Southeast to Northwest. You can also fly into DuBois Regional Airport conveniently located off Exit 90 on Interstate 80. When the stress and the expense of big city life become overwhelming, come to DuBois, Pennsylvania-a great place to visit, work, and live.
Punxsutawney is nestled in the gently rolling hills of Western Pennsylvania, Punxsutawney is approximately 90 miles northeast of Pittsburgh and 100 miles south of Erie, accessible via Interstate 80, U.S. Route 119 and state Route 36. The borough, which is located in Jefferson County, is home to approximately 6,800 residents and one groundhog family (Phil, his wife, and a couple children). Approximately 10,500 people live in the surrounding townships.
Punxsutawney was originally a Native American campsite halfway between the Allegheny and Susquehanna rivers. It is located on the earliest known trail to the east, the Shamokin path. Route 119 north of Punxsutawney follows a portion of this path. The area was at times, occupied by Shawnee or Delaware people and sometimes by Senecas or Iroquois.
What Does "Punxsutawney" Mean?
The name of the town was derived from the Native American word for sand flies, a gnat-like insect that was abundant in the area. The name "town of the ponkies" became Punxsutawney.
The economy, which had been primarily based on coal mining, is now reestablishing itself as industrial and service-based. With the lure of Punxsutawney Phil and the beauty of the area, tourism has become a rapidly growing trade.
It all began on February 2nd, 1886 with a terse Paragraph in The Punxsutawney Spirit (the local newspaper): "Today is groundhog day and up to the time of going to press the beast has not seen its shadow." The legendary first trek to Gobbler's Knob was reportedly made the following year, and the rest is a colorful history.
It has been called "one of the greatest ongoing publicity campaigns in history" and certainly, the borough of Punxsutawney would remain unknown to the outside world if not for Punxsutawney Phil. Prior to 1887, groundhogs were more likely to be eaten than revered for their weather forecasting ability; but the groundhog has risen from a food item to the lofty title of "The Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators, and Weather Prophet Extraordinary."
The official Groundhog weather proclamation is a wondrous thing, full of dramatic "Hear ye's" and "whereases" and bone-chilling descriptions of the snow and sleet and ice to follow. The Seer's prediction is duly recorded in the Congressional record and routinely gets front page coverage in the nation's newspapers and in English-language newspapers throughout the world.
ST. MARYS PA
St. Marys, PA is a city in Elk County, PA with a population of 13,000. Covering nearly 100 square miles, it is the second largest city in the state, in land area, behind Philadelphia. St. Marys lies in the center of Pennsylvania’s elk country and the area is known for its access to outdoor activities, including trout streams and state hunting lands inside the city limits.
Notable landmarks are Decker’s Chapel, built in 1856, considered to be the smallest chapel in America. Also, St. Joseph’s Monastery, home of the Benedictine Sisters of Elk County, the oldest Benedictine women’s religious order in the United States, founded in 1852. St. Marys was founded in 1842 as Marienstadt by the German-American Catholic Brotherhood.
Tionesta is a borough in Forest County, Pennsylvania.. It is the county seat of Forest County. The name Tionesta is a Native American word meaning "waters meet."
Unspoiled, unhurried, unforgettable recreation - the best of Pennsylvania's wilds …….
Tionesta lies at the heart of a forested region that is a popular destination for hunters and other outdoor lovers. Tionesta is the future home of the Pennsylvania Hunting & Fishing Museum.
Nestled between two federally designated Wild and Scenic Rivers, the Clarion and the Allegheny, with close to 50 percent of its land mass a part of the Allegheny National Forest and hosting Cook Forest State Park, Forest County is truly one of Pennsylvania's best kept secrets.
In Tionesta, the 6.3 mile Tionesta Lake is a gorgeous spot for boating and fishing. Stay in a Victorian B & B, play an 18-hole golf course, see a rodeo at the East’s largest guest ranch, or paddle the 45 miles of the Tionesta Creek, on of the most scenic waters in the state.
Referred to as "the Natural Escape," the County offers limitless opportunity to escape the hustle and bustle of the work-a-day world. You can literally feel the stress and pressure melt away as you enter the County and become enamored with its pristine beauty. Sporting activities, recreation, shopping or justplain relaxing you'll find that once you've "escaped," you might not want to return home.
a city in Crawford County, Pennsylvania, is a safe small town with everything you need from the very beginning starting in 1796. . The area was first settled by Jonathan Titus. He named the village Edinburg(h), but as the village grew, the settlers began to call this little hamlet Titusville. The village was incorporated as a borough in 1847.
Drake Well, located in the middle of quiet farm country and named after “Colonel” Edwin Drake, was the first successful oil well drilled for the sole purpose of finding oil. In 1859, oil was successfully drilled in Titusville, resulting in the birth of the modern oil industry. Why did Colonel Drake choose this spot to drill oil? There were many active oil seeps in the region, but they were not drilling for oil only for salt water or just plain drinking water. Oil was actually considered a nuisance and they abandoned the wells because they did not know what to do with the stuff when the found it!!
Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad ....”through the valley that changed the world”. Travel back in time …..at the 1892 vintage freight station in Titusville. In an open-air car with a perfect view of the beautiful northwestern PA landscape take a two and a half-hour trip on the railroad back to where oil history began, Caboose Motel, a twenty-one train caboose cars with heat, air conditioning and telephone. Also, deck chairs are available to relax during the evenings in the Oil region. Only five minutes away from Drake Museum and 9.4 miles from Oil Creek State Park bicycle trail.
Venango County Pennsylvania, is located in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains and near the confluence of the Allegheny River and Oil Creek.
Venango is a quiet, friendly area with a history dating back to the discovery of oil near Titusville, PA. The motto is “We are the Valley that changed the World”. The first oil wells were drilled in the area in the 1850’s and became central in the petroleum industry hosting headquarters for the Pennzoil, Quaker State and Wolf’s Head motor oil companies.
Tourism now plays a prominent role in the region promoting oil heritage sites, nature trails and Victorian architecture. The region promotes tourism by thoroughly educating the public about oil history. The area’s location along the Allegheny River in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains provides excellent opportunities for exploring Northwestern Pennsylvania. Local camping, hiking, backpacking, lakes, beaches, whitewater, skiing and snowboarding are among the activities available in the region. If you are looking for a low crime, quiet and friendly location then this is for you!
Warren is a city in Warren County, Pennsylvania... It is the county seat of Warren Countyand home to the headquarters of the Allegheny National Forest and the Cornplanter State Forest. It is also the headquarters for the Chief Cornplanter Council, the oldest continuously chartered Boy Scouts of America Council.
Chapman Dam State Park is adjacent to Allegheny National Forest and State Game Land 29 just off U.S. Route 6, near Clarendon. Warren County also contains a tract of old growth forest called Hearts Content National Scenic Area as well as the Hickory Creek Wilderness a 3,663-acre (14.8 km2) wilderness area located on the Bradford Ranger District of the Allegheny National Forest.
David Beaty discovered oil in Warren in 1875 while drilling for natural gas in his wife's flower garden. Oil came to dominate the city's economy. Building is underway for the Impact Warren project, a riverfront development project in downtown Warren. The completed project will include new townhouses and senior citizen housing, new retail and commercial development, a parking garage, a convention center, and bus depot. This project, coupled with the new commercial in North Warren, contributes to the economy of the city.